Consultant Rheumatologist and Undergraduate Lead for Medical Education, Basildon & Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Inflammatory Arthritis
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Connective Tissue Disease
- Soft Tissue Rheumatism
- Back Pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Consultant Rheumatologist at Basildon & Thurrock Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Undergraduate Lead of Medical Education at Basildon & Thurrock Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, University College London
- British Society of Rheumatology
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Medical Association
- Essex Rheumatology Association
- Dr Shilpa Selvan is a Consultant Rheumatologist at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS trust.
- Dr Selvan graduated from Royal Free and University College London Medical School, and also undertook an intercalated BSc in Pharmacology (2003). She undertook her specialist rheumatology training in the Oxford Deanery, and gained her CCT qualifications in both Rheumatology and General Medicine in 2015. She has a vast range of experience in managing general rheumatological problems including Osteoporosis, Gout, Inflammatory Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Connective Tissue Disease, Soft Tissue Rheumatology, Back Pain and Fibromyalgia.
- Dr Selvan has a keen interest in both undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and training, and is the Undergraduate Lead for Medical Education at Basildon Hospital. She is responsible for the co-ordination and management of the undergraduate medical education as directed by University College London medical School and has led the organisation and delivery of the final MBBS clinical examinations locally. She is also an Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer at University College London.
- Her further training includes the Post Graduate Certificate in Medical Education (Royal College of Physicians & University College London, 2013).
- Dr Selvan’s research interests are early inflammatory arthritis, and osteoporosis. She has published in several peer review journals, and has presented at both national and international rheumatology conferences.
Visit Dr Selvan’s website here: www.selvanrheumatology.com
“I have always had a passion for medicine, and enjoy helping people daily. The mulitidiciplinary approach to managing patients in rheumatology has always fascinated me, and the challenges presented by each individual patient makes it a very interesting speciality.”